1. This looks awesome, but I don’t know exactly what I’m making yet… can I still apply?
Absolutely! We accept ideas, projects, and work in all stages of development.
2. What do you mean by supplemental materials?
Anything you believe will help the narrative of your application. You might include a resume or CV, work samples or history, photographs, videos, vlogs, writing samples, business plans, budgets, or more!
3. Can I submit as a group, or just as myself?
Either! You can apply as an individual working solo, an individual with collaborators, a collective, or a company.
4. I’m not making Theater… can I still apply?
Please do! The Sokoloff Arts Creative Fellowship is open to anyone making anything. We believe that no matter what you are making - a sonata, a musical, or a sandwich- creative energy unites us. We encourage activism, theater, inventions, new businesses, cartoons, musical theater, apps, music, fine art, dance, design, circus, puppets, food concepts, traveling shows, education platforms, restaurant ideas, crafters, writers, mixed media projects, empowerment activities, panel discussions, community creation, 360 degree activations, immersive theater, technology, and beyond!
5. How do you select your Fellows each year?
The Town Stages Team reviews every application and supplemental material packet received before the deadline for the year, and reviews them on the following criteria:
- Compelling Application: Does the Applicant present a powerful vision. Does the idea, work, or mission statement of the Applicant excite the team. Does the Team sense passion and excitement from the Applicant?
- Cohesive Application: Does the project fit the mission statement of the Applicant? Does the through line from human to project make sense?
- Need: How is Town specifically instrumental to the Applicant’s success? Does the Applicant need this Creative Fellowship to succeed?
- Originality and Diversity: Does the Applicant have a brand new, strike-while-the-iron-is-hot idea? Is the project topical and necessary now for Town and the Applicant? Is the idea/project/vision/story/viewpoint/creation unique in the Cohort the Team is building, and in the landscape of New York City?
- Semi-Finalist selections will be contacted for a site visit and interview before Final selections are made.
6. How many Fellows do you accept in a year?
It really depends on the applicant pool and what everyone needs! In our inaugural year, we accepted 28 recipients.
7. I’ve applied in years past, can I apply again?
8. So, real talk, what does space cost for Fellows?
All of our Sokoloff Arts Space Subsidy rates are ONLY available on select dates as specified by Town Stages Staff.
Town is dedicated to working with you on your goals for your project, and selecting dates and times that work for everyone, but please understand there will be dates we will not be able to rent at the Fellows rate.
Any room in the venue, provided it isn’t rented already, is $15 an hour for personal and internal work. That’s anything not open to the general public. That space is usually bookable M-F from 10am - 7pm, and often available on nights and weekends when the Team is on site. You get a 2 week booking window on hourly time (meaning the farthest ahead you can book is 2 weeks).
When you are ready to do a one-night event for the public, maybe that’s a one-night cabaret, a fundraiser, a party, a pitch, an activation, a public reading, you name it, you have access to ANY space at the following rates, on dates approved and available at Town.
- INVITE ONLY EVENT for Under 70 humans = $50/hour
TICKETED EVENT for Under 70 humans = $70/hour
- INVITE ONLY EVENT for Over 70 humans = $80/hour
TICKETED EVENT for Over 70 humans = $100/hour
If you want to do a theatrical run, or multi-night event. Space will be available for $600/night - $1200/night, depending on availability, time of year and day of the week, and needs.
If you want a full day to build your 360 event, panel discussion and screening, or robot-build-a-thon, space will be available for $3000 - $5000 a day, depending on availability, time of year and day of the week, and needs.
If you want a month lock-out to build your immersive cotton candy museum… well, let’s talk. We hate saying no!
9. And the small print on all of that?
We are dedicated to offering the Fellows at least 50% off our standard rates. In exchange, we ask for your flexibility and communication to make it all happen!
Portal hours (hourly hours) are available online, within a two week booking window, first come, first served, from any given date. These hours are most commonly available M-F 10am - 7pm.
Timing and date availability are subject to Town Stages resources. Sokoloff Arts Space Subsidies are available in part because we are booking well with other business. If we are booked like crazy, there might be less dates available to you, but more subsidy to offer to make things more budget friendly. It might mean being flexible with dates, or sharing space. If we have nothing going on in a month that may be busy later on, we may not have any subsidy to offer until we know more about the month in question. What is for certain though, is that Town is dedicated to your work and your projects, and want to make it work!
10. So, you’re not producing my show…
No. Town Stages is not producing your show, but we do want to give you resources to make producing your show easier, more affordable, and more fun!
11. OK, so, nobody else can rent by the hour?
Nope! Just Fellows!
12. If I’m a Fellow, can I book space for my partner’s/roommate’s/uncle’s/parakeet’s project?
No. We accepted you and your idea to the Creative Fellowship, so those hours are for you. But we encourage them to apply for their own Fellowship!
13. Can I book space to play jenga in the corner?
If Jenga is related to your project, and playing Jenga at Town is helping you, sure!
14. And, even if I can’t afford renting the whole venue just yet, I can still have work space, emergency hourly space, and access to resources and collaboration, for FREE?
You sure can!
15. If I need help on my budget/business plan/script/deck. Can you help?
Yes! We love meeting with Fellows and offering feedback and insight! Our team is comprised of ladies who have worked across a lot of mediums, and we love to help!
16. Just out of curiosity, what’s your standard day rate at Town Stages for non-Fellows?
We begin quotes between $10,000 - $15,000 a day, depending on needs and timing 🙂
I feel really good about this! I'll apply!